When you mentor, are you a teacher or a “teller”?
- The mentor as teacher invites curiosity by how they ask questions.
- The mentor as teacher listens not just to words but to feelings.
- The mentor as teacher nurtures exploration in each dimension.
- The mentor as teacher encourages the mentoree to stretch beyond what they think possible.
- The mentor as teacher applauds the knowledge, not just gained, but put to use.
- The mentor as teacher celebrates the discovery of new paths of living well.
- The mentor as teacher digs in to keep growing themselves in all 8 of their own dimensions of life.
This TED talk gives a timely sense of encouragement to all of us who long to mentor as teachers who do make a difference. At home. At work. At our place of worship. At a place in the community that needs the help that you can bring.
These are potent steps for you becoming one the best of mentors.